If ID Verification is required for a certificate in a course you’re taking, we'll prompt you to verify during the course and in your Settings page.
You only need to complete ID Verification once to get a certificate for any course you take.
During ID verification, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name
- A clear image of your valid, government-issued photo ID
- A clear photo of your face
You can use these types of IDs in the verification process:
- Driver's license
- National ID Card
IDs must show your full name, birthdate, and a clear photo of your face. We can’t verify IDs that are:
- Not issued by a government
- From a restricted country
When you submit your ID information, we make sure your information is secure. After we verify your ID, we delete the photos and related personal information. You can read more about our privacy policies in our Terms of Service.
Steps to verify
To verify using your ID:
- Log in to your Coursera account.
- Click the drop-down menu next to your name in the top-right, then click Settings.
- Scroll to the ID Verification section. If you aren’t enrolled in a course that requires ID Verification, you’ll only see the option for Name Verification.
- Click Verify My ID and follow the steps that appear.
ID Verification usually takes minutes, but occasionally up to 24 hours to process. Once our system verifies your ID, we update your Settings page.
Troubleshoot ID Verification
If your ID Verification runs into any issues, we’ll email you. You can also check the status of your ID Verification on your Settings page.
Follow the instructions on the page to resolve the issue. You may need to retry the process with new images or a different ID.
Images upload issues
If you can't upload images from your device, try:
- Updating your current device or browser or using a different one
- Uploading a .png or .jpg that’s less than 1 MB
Our ID Verification process doesn’t support updating your information after verification. Your name will display in all capital letters on certificates.